Monday, June 11, 2012

Hoisin Chicken Tenders (Kid Friendly)

I was sure I had posted this earlier but I can't seem to find it anymore, or I'm going crazy. I love crumbed chicken but sometimes just plain crumbed chicken is boring. A few years ago I found a spin on it that involved hoisin sauce. So I tried it and have loved it ever since. This is the prefect recipe for kids. 

What you will need:
4 chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into strips
Plain Flour
Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs
¾ Cup Hoisin Sauce
Vegetable Oil, for frying

Ingredients
It's hard to tell you how much flour and breadcrumbes but I generally start with 1 cup of each and if I need to I add more as I'm crumbing.

Crack and lightly whisk the two eggs with the hoisin sauce. Pour the flour into a bowl and the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl. You should end up with 3 bowls of ingredients.

Hoisin / Egg mixture
I don't have any photos of the next bit because I was home alone and had crumb and egg on my hands so didn't want to pick up my camera. I'm sure everyone knows how to crumb chicken but if not, head over to Taste for their tutorial here


Using your left hand dip the chicken into the flour and shake off any excess, drop the chicken into the egg mixture and with your right hand ensure that the chicken strip is completely covered in egg, shake off any excess. Drop the chicken into the breadcrumbs and with your left hand again, ensure that the chicken is fully coated with the breadcrumbs, shake of any excess. The idea is to have one hand for wet ingredients and the other hand for dry ingredients. This way you won't coat your fingers in crumbs as well as the chicken.

Crumbed chicken ready for frying
You can choose to fry you chicken anyway you like. Depending on how I feel, I either deep fry in vegetable oil or shallow fry in vegetable oil. The hoisin sauce gives the crumb a ark colour when fried than normal crumbed chicken so don't think you're burning it. Always test a piece of two (espeically any thicker ones) by cutting in the thickest part of down the centre to see if it's cooked completely. Serve with vegetables of your choice and some extra hoisin sauce for dipping. 
Hoisin Crumbed Chicken Strips
Like my page on Facebook here for more tips and information

No comments:

Post a Comment