Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mastering the Art of Baking Recipe: Jumbo Chocolate Fudge Cookies

After a little bit of a baking hiatus, I pulled out my Mastering the Art of Baking by Anneka Manning, and got stuck into some delicious chocolate cookies.  I'm really into finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe (read about it here and here) and this one I tried is still chocolate, but not your traditional chocolate chip cookie. It is a Jumbo Chocolate Fudge Cookie.

What you will need: 
225g / 1½ Cups Plain Flour
80g / ¾ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
285g / 1½ Cups Light Brown Sugar, lightly packed
180g Unsalted Butter, chopped
300g Dark Chocolate, chopped
3 eggs, lightly whisked
75g White Chocolate, chopped

Ingredients
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper (if you have a hot oven like me you may want to lower the temperature. I baked my cookies on about 120°C and it worked fine). Depending on the size of your trays, you may need more. Sift the flour and cocoa together into a large mixing bowl (or use a whisk to sift like I do). 
Flour and Cocoa
 Stir in the brown sugar and make a well in the centre. Set aside. 
Flour, Cocoa, Sugar, well in centre
Bring a small saucepan of water to a gentle simmer and melt the butter and half the dark chocolate in a small heatproof dish on the saucepan. Set aside for about 10 minutes or until it is lukewarm. 
Melted chocolate & butter
Add the chocolate mixture and eggs to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Mix in the white chocolate. The cookie dough is a wet mixture so don't be too alarmed if you think it's too wet. Stir in the remaining chocolate. 
Cookie dough
Using your hands, roll out about 2 tablespoons worth of dough and place on the trays about 7cm apart (cookies will spread). Using your fingertips, gently push down on the cookies to spread them slightly. 
Cookies ready for the oven
Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes or until firm but still soft in the centre. 
Cookies fresh out of the oven
Leave the cookies on the trays to cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 
Jumbo Chocolate Fudge Cookies
If you want smaller cookies, use about 1 tablespoons worth of dough. Keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 

I loved these cookies more than my chic chip ones here. They were also a hit my niece and FIL. They are the perfect combination of sweet and chewy. I can guarantee that kids and adults will love these. The great thing was there was minimal cleaning up as well! Give them a go and tell me what you think. 

For more photos and updates visit and like my Facebook page here 

1 comment: